What To Do – Immediately Report It
Immediately report Identity Theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) identitytheft.gov and the major credit reporting agencies.
Go to our secure Identity Verification Service to verify your identity. It’s quick, secure, and available 24 hours a day.
- You must register to the website before verifying your identity. Be sure to check the website and prepare all the documents needed to complete the registration.
- Have a copy of the 5071C or 6331C letter you received and a copy of the tax return for the tax year shown in the letter.
- If you did not file an income tax return, you can indicate that on the website.
If you want to call us
If you prefer to talk to our representative, call the toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number in the 5071C or 6331C letter.
Note: Although the letters request a response within 30 days, the IRS will continue to work with you regardless of the amount of days that have passed.
Have ALL of the following available when you call:
- The 5071C or 6331C letter;
- The tax return referenced in the letter (the Form 1040 series return). Note: A Form W-2, Form 1099 is not a tax return;
- A prior year’s income tax return, other than the year in the letter, if you filed one. Note: A Form W-2, Form 1099 is not a tax return; and
- Supporting documents that you filed with each year’s tax return. (Form W-2, Form 1099, Schedule C or F, etc.).
Note: Authorized third parties may assist taxpayers, but the taxpayer must call us together and must participate on the call.
The toll-free number IRS Identity Verification number is for identity verification only.