IRS Interactive Tools
Tax questions can pop up any time of the year. When people need answers, they should start with Interactive Tax Assistant on IRS.gov. It’s a tool that provides answers to a many tax law questions.
The taxpayer enters answers to a series of questions and the tool gives them a response based on those answers. Here are some of the topics covered:
Filing Status, Dependents and Exemptions
- Whom May I Claim as a Dependent?
- What Is My Filing Status?
- May I Claim an Exemption for Myself or My Spouse?
- How Much Can I Deduct for Each Exemption I Claim?
Retirement: Pensions, IRAs, Social Security
- Are My Social Security or Railroad Retirement Tier I Benefits Taxable?
- Is My Pension or Annuity Payment Taxable?
- Do I Need to Report the Transfer or Rollover of an IRA or Retirement Plan on My Tax Return?
- Is the Distribution from My Roth Account Taxable?
- Is the Distribution from My Traditional, SEP or SIMPLE IRA Taxable?
- How Do I Claim My Gambling Winnings and/or Losses?
- Do I Have Income Subject to Self-Employment Tax?
- Is My Tip Income Taxable?
- Are Payments I Receive for Being Unemployed Taxable?
- How Much Is My Standard Deduction?
- Can I Deduct My Medical and Dental Expenses?
- Can I Deduct My Mortgage-Related Expenses?
- Can I Deduct My Charitable Contributions?
- Can I Claim My Expenses as Miscellaneous Itemized Deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040)?
- Are My Work-Related Education Expenses Deductible?
- Am I Eligible to Claim an Education Credit?
- Does My Child/Dependent Qualify for the Child Tax Credit or the Credit for Other Dependents?
- Am I Eligible to Claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit?
- Do I Qualify for the Credit for the Elderly or Disabled?
- Do I Qualify for the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit?
Share this tip on social media — #IRSTaxTip: Interactive tool on IRS.gov helps taxpayers get answers to their tax questions https://go.usa.gov/xyNzX