Where Is My Refund?
To find out the status of your refund, please check the following sites.
If you didn’t get a first and second Economic Impact Payment or got less than the full amount, you may be eligible to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit and must file a 2020 tax return, even if you aren’t required to file.
– Call Us – We Can Help You – (213)418-9600 | (866)542-9551
What you need to do immediately
Go to our secure Identity Verification Service to verify your identity. It’s quick, secure, and available 24 hours a day.
- You must register to the website before verifying your identity. Be sure to check the website and prepare all the documents needed to complete the registration.
- Have a copy of the 5071C or 6331C letter you received and a copy of the tax return for the tax year shown in the letter.
- If you did not file an income tax return, you can indicate that on the website.
If you want to call us
If you prefer to talk to our representative, call the toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number in the 5071C or 6331C letter.
Note: Although the letters request a response within 30 days, the IRS will continue to work with you regardless of the amount of days that have passed.
Have ALL of the following available when you call:
- The 5071C or 6331C letter;
- The tax return referenced in the letter (the Form 1040 series return). Note: A Form W-2, Form 1099 is not a tax return;
- A prior year’s income tax return, other than the year in the letter, if you filed one. Note: A Form W-2, Form 1099 is not a tax return; and
- Supporting documents that you filed with each year’s tax return. (Form W-2, Form 1099, Schedule C or F, etc.).
Note: Authorized third parties may assist taxpayers, but the taxpayer must call us together and must participate on the call.
The toll-free number IRS Identity Verification number is for identity verification only.
No other tax-related information, including refund status, is available.